Saturday, October 31, 2009

Is it legal for an ins. comp 2 ask if youre on food stamps or what ur past emp. is when your filing an injury?

Is it legal for an ins. comp 2 ask if youre on food stamps or what ur past emp. is when your filing an injury claim? I was injured transfering a patient from her wheel chair to her bed and hurt my back in the process. When I filed a claim with my employers ins, they sent me a packet asking all sorts of questions including my employment history and whether or not I am on any state benefits etc. Is it even legal for them to ask all those personal questions? I can understand why they ask if I have ever been in a vehicle accident and was injured, but, asking about state benefits and such, seems VERY off and gave me red flags. Can anyone tell me?
Answer:
Yes. They ask about your employment history so they know what work you have done in the past and if you would be able to do the type of work that you did in the past if your injury causes you to no longer be able to do your current job.

They want to know that so they can say "You once worked as a Walmart greeter for 3 months 10 years ago. You can still do that so you are not disabled. We are going to pay your medical bills and that's it."

The reason they ask about state benefits is so they can figure that into how much they would pay you and if you are instead eligible for an increase in payments from the state.

If you wind up having trouble from the insurance company get a lawyer. The first time you meet with a lawyer is usually free.
Sorry but yes they can and if refused they will check themselves.
Do you want your claim to be handled promptly and accurately? Then answer every single question honestly.
The lack of an answer to any question, could at worst result in bnefits denied, and at best, an unnecesary delay in processing your claim. They have the money, you don't,
I never heard of those questions being asked before. Since I did it for my b/f at one time. But do find out by some experts on this matters, nowadays this insurance companies and/or government agencies want to play it safe. I wont understand why your past status has anything to do with your injury. But I believe ins. company would want to notify the state benefit agency that a person is getting money so the insured person do not do any fraud to the govt. agency and viceversa. Keep asking question to everybody, the insurance company go to BBB or any state or govt. agency. Ask an attorney or whoever can provide information on this. Just say you want to protect your privacy and want to stay informed.
Yes,it is legal. If you are on government assistance and get an insurance settlement,it can affect the benefits you get because they are based on income.They will also want to know if you have made insurance claims from any other employer.
It might seem nosy,but they are just trying to prevent fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net