Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Is it legal to empty your swimming pool water onto your lawn?

My neighbor is emptying his pool against our common fence. I caught him this year and told him to stop and move his drain hose towards his own property. The last three years we have noticed a blue-greenish residue on our lawn againt this fence, we suspected it was chlorine but we weren't sure if we could do anything about it. Can we? I live in Massachusetts.
Answer:
i believe it is legal, although i've done it to my own yard with no ill effects. Perhaps you could just ask him to make sure he doesn't it treat for 3 days prior to emptying it? chlorine doesn't last that long it burns off in a few days. Chlorine also would act more like bleach, it wouldn't turn blue green. Why not hop the fence and redirect the hose yourself when he's not looking? That's what i would do! :)
yes completely legal, the only thing is it may kill the grass with the high chlorine levels
one of the most left wing states, you should have no private property rights in Mass
I am surprised your lawn hasn't died. Call the city and find out if its legal. I know in my state, its not, and also, the fact that this water can move into your yard, makes it seem illegal.
Don't have anything serious to worry about huh? Unless it goes into your basement and damages it- no, your yard is not the worst problem you will encounter in life. I assume you are young, you will outgrow that.
I am in MA, also.

I would have to say YES, if what your neighbor does causes you property damage, absolutely. If he floods out your basement, he is definitely liable, for the damages.

I would take a video of what is happening, in case you need to file a small claims case. I don't know how nasty you want to get, but I would also recommend calling the cops, this will help establish documentation, and back up your case.

There is a law site called nolo, I found this: http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/pg/3/obj...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net