Saturday, October 31, 2009

Is it legal for a noncustodial parent to add the children to his food stamp case for visits?

My ex is wanting to put the kids on his food stamps for the summer and is asking me to get him birth certificates and social secutity cards. I just want to make sure I can't get in any sort of trouble if he does this. I was always under the impression the children had to actually live with you. Also what about my medical assistance for the children, we live in different states and while I don't qualify for food stamps I do have then on a partially state funded medical program, it just a step up from medicid. I sort of feel like I should just wash my hands of all this and tell him he's on his own with this one, but then I'm concerned that the kids won't get good meals if he doesn't have the extra helpto buy food and I can't afford to carry his butt all summer while he visits them. I can't keep them home either they are only going to visit because it is court ordered. What do you all think?
Answer:
If the children are in residence with him for 3 months that should qualify for a temporary upgrade of the food stamps.
The key here is temporary.. since he is allready in the system I think upgrading isn't an issue especially when we are talking about children needs and it is a court order visitation so that should make it legal.
As far as medical assistance is concerned they can't refuse anyone at the emergency room so that should work out in case of something major. In case of something minor you will have to pay it out of pocket if he cannot.
No. It is illegal, just as it would be illegal for the non-custodial parent to file taxes with a child as his/her dependant.
Your ex is on food stamps? A GUY?

Boy, you sure can pick em.
Call up welfare dept and present the situation...honesty here is the best policy as you can loose your benefits if not cooperable on your end...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net