Saturday, October 31, 2009

Is it legal for the photographer to show my wedding pictures to other of his clients?

Can the wedding photographer show my wedding pictures to other of his clients? Or can he make a sample album out of them? Do they have the right to keep all the photo files in his computer? Do I have the right to get all of them back from him? My order is for 30 photos, total picture taken is about 300. After I chose the 30 that i want, do i have the right to tell him to delete the rest of the 270?
Answer:
Most professional photographers have you sign a contract when you engage them. Part of that contract gives them a release affording them artistic rights over the pictures.

Your photographer is probably not breaking any law and you probably have no recourse in this case.
They become his property when you sign a contract with him.

You can choose to buy his rights to them-in which case he will give you all files, and pictures and negatives he has, but it does cost a lot to do that, because he can decide how much they are worth to him for advertising purposes.

Hope that helps.
as a general rule, you must sign a release for him to use photos in any sample setting, unless the contract you signed states that he may use the images as he sees fit.
I would think that if you did not want the images used any reputable photographer would honor that. As for deleting excess photos, he would probably do that anyway, too many to keep if no one wants them or he cant use them.
did you sign an agreement or contract?
it will spell out what he is allow to do with the pictures he took.

Yes they are his pictures,, however there are limits as to what he may do with them. Keeping proofs books of work done for other clients is normal. Selling the pictures is not, and I mean to ad agencies.
The contract with the photographer gives him 100% rights to your photos that he takes. Including using them in portfolios and web pages. He can even use them for TV commercials if he would like. He doesn't have to destroy any photo that he creates. Sorry.
It really does depend on which country / state you live in - but there are general copyright laws surrounding photography - you'll find many of the answers you seek kere

http://www.photolaw.net/faq.html...
Depends on what kind of deal you made with him. If you signed an agreement which states the photos are his property, then yes, he has the right to show them to whomever. But if the photos were to become your property, meaning you got the negatives when he was done, they he would normally need a release from you.
Unless you sign something beforehand, like the celebrities do, the pictures actually belong to the photographer. My advice is, have him agree to delete all photos not used by you or have him agree not to use the photos to drum up new business for himself. If you get a signed document saying this, then find out he's doing it, you can sue him for breach of contract.
As a photographer I make all my customers sign a release (When possible).If your in the crowd at concert well that's a tough one.Ever picture is a sample of my work.Some made it into my portfolio.Yes he/she can do what he wants with your photos within reason.
I've also been ripped off because I didn't do contracts in the past.Your photographer is artist.They need to show how good their are.That's why they show your wedding pictures if their good enough.
Don't be upset that means if he/she sees something that realy is good their going to show it off.
When you have children are you not going to take pictures to show off how cute they are?
My photos are my children, I took them and want to show how good I am.Have you ever composed a really great photo?
It's not as easy as pointing and clicking!You have to wait for just the right moment in time.Let me tell you weddings are worse than rock concerts.I hate doing them(I've done several in 15 years).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net